WOULD RATHER

Önceki başlık Sonraki başlık Aşağa gitmek

WOULD RATHER

Mesaj  Admin Bir Paz Mart 06, 2011 11:13 am

I would rather... than + ing or infinitive and suggest/recommend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to everybody!!
I am a new member and, for a start, I would like to ask some doubts.

I am not sure about the correct use of "I'd rather...than..." because it seems that everything is right.
My question is whether I must use "I'd rather go on holiday than studying for my exams" or "I'd rather go on holiday than study for my exams".
Im some student books I have found the first form but some online dictionaries propose the second one. Which ot them is grammatically correct?

My second question is about the use of suggest/recommend...
Should I say "I suggested to my mother going out", "I suggested my mother going out", "I suggested my mother that she should go out" or "I suggested to my mother that she should go out"?
Thank-you very much for your advice and for your time!
Best regards

"I'd rather go on holiday than study for my exams" would be the correct one. You cannot say "studying" instead of "study" unless you say "I'd prefer going on holiday to studying for my exams."

You can say "I suggested to my mother that she go out." However you cannot use "should" because you cannot suggest that someone be obligated to do something. I don't know if that makes any sense of it for you, but I hope it does. The only other way to say it would be, "I suggested that my mother go out." However, in that case you are not necessary suggesting it to your mother.

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
I would like to make it clear to me.

Then, the conjuction "than" doesn't imply gerund, I must look at the construction of the first part of the sentence (I would rather go...(infinitive without to), I would prefer going...(gerund)) to choose the form of the verb placed after "than", am I right?

In relation to use "suggest" ("I suggested to my mother that she should go out"), "should" doesn't mean obligation, does it? It simply means advice, I think the problem would be if I used "must" instead of "should", wouldn't it?

All tricks have exceptions. I'm guessing you thought it was supposed to be the gerund because most sentences with a "than" comparison use a gerund, but not with "rather...than..." which uses the infinitive.

Example:
I'd rather do my homework than watch this horrible movie.
Doing my homework is more interesting than watching this horrible movie.

The first uses this construction:
rather + infitive + than + infinitive
The second:
gerund + is more + adjective + than + gerund

Does that help show you what I am saying?

As to what I was saying about not being able to use "should" in the suggestion sentence, I'm not exactly sure how to explain it. I feel that it sounds a little strange with the "should" in there, and maybe it is redundant. I'm sorry, but I am not sure how to explain that better.

The normal way to say it:
I suggested to my mother that she go out.

Example:
I'd rather do my homework than watch this horrible movie.
Doing my homework is more interesting than watching this horrible movie.

The first uses this construction:
rather + infitive + than + infinitive

Hi. About the structure "would rather ... than ... " I've taken the following sentences from an English student book ( British English as a Foreign Language ):

1) I'd rather watch a video than go to the cinema. (infinitive)
2) I'd rather be lying on a beach than working! (=now) (continuous infinitve)

Then, I suppose the structure in example 1) should be used when I want to talk about my preference in general ( for example, when I'm talking with a friend about hobbies ), and the structure in example 2) should be used when I want to talk about my preference at the present moment ( for example, I'm working and talking to my fellow worker what I'd like to do instead right now). Am I right ?

According to this, is it correct to say:
I'd rather play basketball than watch TV (if I'm talking about my preferences in general), and:
I'd rather be playing basketball than watching TV (if I'm watching TV right now and I'd like to do another thing instead ??)

Admin
Admin

Mesaj Sayısı : 2251
Kayıt tarihi : 12/01/09
Yaş : 44

Kullanıcı profilini gör http://moral.forumr.biz

Sayfa başına dön Aşağa gitmek

Önceki başlık Sonraki başlık Sayfa başına dön

Bu forumun müsaadesi var:
Bu forumdaki mesajlara cevap veremezsiniz